Pages

Phaeleh Interview

Phaeleh





Bristolian producer Phaeleh has been making waves in the dubstep scene for some time now. Since his first release on his own Urban Scrumping label in 2008, he's had singles on labels like Surface Tension and Wheel & Deal, an album (Fallen Light) on Afterglo and his first single of 2011, Falling, is coming out on Skream's Disfigured Dubz imprint in March. We spoke to him to find out what he makes of it all...

How has the last year been for you?
The last twelve months have been good I would say, I think key events have been being asked to do a second mix on Electronic Explorations for Rob Booth. That gave me somewhere to showcase new material. Enough respect for Rob Booth and what he's done with that, it's an amazing platform for new music. I mean I am usually busy making bits and bobs these days, but I make time to listen to stuff like Electronic Explorations, some of Bun Zero's stuff and The Yardcore Sessions on Sub FM.

Your schedule is looking quite hectic too...
Yeah, the gigs have definitely been good, the album release in October and Falling coming out on Disfigured Dubz has kind of catapulted everything. So yeah, I am in demand now, but I know music has its peaks and troughs...

Have you any favourite places to play?
In terms of the UK, I always seem to get a lot of interest in Manchester and London – especially London at the moment. I think in the UK those two places, but I do have to admit I love playing Europe. They generally make you feel more welcome. They're interested in you as an artist and in listening to your own material rather then just getting smashed. I think it's because we are spoilt for choice; I know in Bristol and most other major cities, you can find a big line-up and still have other options open.

You seem quite detached from any sort of cliques in the scene and wider genre, are there any producers you feel an affinity for?
Yeah, I think with all music genres there's going to be a clique element, and sometimes it does seem to be weighted towards networking. But I am the type of person who would rather stay inside and make tunes then be out networking. That being said I do like to work with people like DJ Madd, Matt-U, TMSV, DJ Rum... anyone on that kind of tip really.


I've seen you praising Kahn as well, he's quite the producer...
Oh yeah, Kahn, he's so sick. I've been playing his beats for quite a bit now, not just for the diversity but the musicality of it – it appeals to people. Punch Drunk in general are doing a lot for the Bristol music scene, I mean I've passed a few things to Tom but generally my sound is a little detached from theirs but still enough respect for what they are pulling out; supporting people like Kahn and Superisk. Should be a good year for them and a lot of other people in 2011.

You've got a quite a slick technical sound, how did that come about?
I think it's coming from a electronic background where it's more about building sounds through intricate layers rather dominant basslines and drums; and also I think learning to play musical instruments helped in a way. But I think it just comes down to sitting in a room for too many years on Cubase pushing yourself.

Would you say you're a software man or a hardware man?
A bit of both I would say. I recently moved house, so I have more room for synths and samplers and that. I've been using them more in the way of experimenting and looking for ideas. Just hitting record and going with it as opposed to edits.

You touched on your history in electronica under the moniker of Preston, when did your sound begin to change and why?
I've always been doing what I wanted really, like I used to make a bit of everything - from jungle to hip hop to stuff veering onto gabba alongside the chilled stuff. But as I got used to doing more live sets and partyesque tunes it kind of met in the middle, as well as me just personally developing as a producer and making tougher basslines and better sounding beats. I think foremost it was about making music that I enjoyed and that I wanted to listen to though. However I think over time you find you can slot parts of yourself into certain genres. I mean, I wasn't with dubstep from the beginning. I think 2006 was when I first heard it. It certainly influenced me but it wasn't a case of 'yeah now I'm going do dubstep', my own personal definition just coincided with it.

That chill vibe does come through first and foremost though, I've heard people compare you to everyone from Burial to Massive Attack...
Well, I've got no problem with people comparing me to them! But yeah, it does surprise me what people come up with. Some people hear the harder stuff, and others hear tracks like Afterglow orRounded which are getting quite a few plays and take opinion from that, but I don't mind.

I see you have been championed by the likes of N-Type and Skream as well, you can't get much higher praise then that, how does that feel?
It's surreal to be honest with you. I have so much respect for their work, they've been doing it since the scene started off, whereas it's taken me time to get out there. But as you say, it's the ultimate big up. Like when you have the vinyl in your hand and you think 'Woah this is N-Type's label', or 'woah this is Skream's label' it takes time to sink in and believe it's happening, but yeah it's amazing. I'm just appreciative they let me put the tunes on their labels – has done me a lot of favours.

Big names comparisons and backing aside, you seem quite humble, one think thing I picked up is that you personally reply to everyone on your social networking pages, that's cool...
Yeah, a lot of people pick up on that. I think it's just because what separates me is that it took me a very long time to get noticed by the scene, so I am just very appreciative of anyone reaching out. I mean there have been times doing it this long, where you're thinking 'pack it in, it's not happening' so I am just thankful for the support.

What about your label, Urban Scrumping, are you going to bring it into the forefront?
Yeah, definitely. It's been going slowly as I've been busy moving house and releasing the album in October. But we do have a few things coming out, a compilation with just with a few artists from the everyone on the label to get the name out there again. We have a new artist as well, J1, really glad to be working with him, he has such a diverse sound - kinda housey, kinda electric, a bit of garage. We are working with Gyu again as well, excited for that.

Do you have side projects then? I heard about the possibility of live elements...
I am someone always floating around ideas, and I mention them to people, and they get passed around. Some people have been asking me if I was going to back the live element as I used to bring out a lot of hardware before I became more laptop based, but I don't know, I prefer DJing now, it's more fun. I did used to do lots of crazy electronics, live looping and sampling to create these layers, so yeah, I might look to put more of a performance element in but there is no rush. My two main things for the year is getting Urban Scrumping on track and getting the artists exposure and a collaboration with DJ Madd. Just getting a few tracks along but again no rush, just trying to define the sound.

That being any said, any chance of a full length from Phaeleh?
I would like to get another album in October. Obviously it's down to time restraints but I did most of the work on the last album with a few tunes already made in a few weeks. I am itching to get down and invest some time in it though, to make it exactly how I want it, and to release it by the end of the year.

Finally, what you can tell us about the guest mix?
It's a mixture of a things that I have been playing out recently, just what I have been listening to as well. Releases from Box Clever, Black Box and few others' bits and pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment