Pages

Blue Daisy Interview

Blue Daisy

Forward-thinking London based producer Blue Daisy will be dropping his new album The Sunday Gift in less then a month's time. We've already had the privilege of a listen and are happy to report that it's a worthy, and perhaps more importantly refreshing, debut for fans and newcomers alike. In anticipation of the release we sent over some questions to shed some light on what we can expect...

There seems to be a real focus on building soundscapes and cinematic song-writing on this album, much more then ever before, what's motivated you to make an album like this now?
I can't pinpoint any particular reason for this direction other than it being the journey my mind was taking during the making of the album. It represents me from the inside out in that moment in life. It reflects the environment I created around myself, so this is just me opening up to the listener, painting a picture, the unknown, Mona Lisa, Da Vinci spirit and allowing the imagination of the listener curate and relate it to their own.

Also other than the fact that it is me at that moment in time, I feel it does represent alot of shiz that is going on in the world today, from war to segregation and the digital influence that we follow so dearly in life now. Yeah, I suppose it can be depicted as a political record in some ways too..

It's a real diversion from the beat scene that a lot of people are associating you in with since the early Flylo comparison, - have you paid the scene any mind recently? Is it something that has any influence on you all?

I've had this convo with a few peeps, for starters I've never considered myself to be a "beat maker", even though thats what some may derive me as being. I've always made sure that I never got my head caught in that whirlwind, and to be honest there are only a few that I run with, this few I know are not just running with that style of music 'cos its in or trendy, they are running with that style cos it is them. It's their form of communication and their way of expressing what's true to them

You know, it's like the Dead Prez line "If you a fighter, rider, lighter, flame ignitor, crowd exciter, or you wanna just get high, then just say it, but then if you a liar-liar, pants on fire, wolf-cry agent with a wire, I'm gon' know it when I play it".

This is the truth, there's so much "wolf-cry agent" material in the "beat scene" in my opinion. It lacks that inspirational, innovative, unique out the box creative feel it once had. Like what happened with dubstep. But yeah, nah i've never really paid much mind to one genre anyway, i'm pretty slack with that "conforming" attitude. I just listen to whatever fits my fancy.

What's the thought behind the name The Sunday Gift?
Sunday originates from my birthname, which represents a Sunday born child in Ghana (where my parents originate) Alson on top of that interpretation of 'gift' is the fact that my mother's name is Gifty - I was also taught that Sunday is the day of rest, God made the world in six days and rested on the seventh. All these elements put into one make the name "The Sunday Gift" . So it's like saying I've finally reached the day of rest after my journey of creation and that it holds deeper meaning than just music. This is me, my heart, my love and pain depicted via this gift. A gift given unto me by the most high.

In terms of software and hardware, what was used to make the album?

The album was made on FLStudio 5 and Cubase, that's all I'm saying. Ha!


Your Boiler Room live set was too nice, one of my personal favorites. How are you going to incorporate this album into sets like that? Or are you planning to do something a little different?

Definitely planning something different for the live shows for the album. I've been working it out in my head and will be looking to curate a show with a drummer, guitarist, synths, keys and visuals. So yeah that's my next stress point to overcome and I hope I have enough hair left after Haha!

On that note, do you have any notable shows coming up that might want to notify people about?
16th September - Sonic Warfare, Melkweg, Amsterdam; 23rd September - Tempo Clash, Corsica Studios, London; 15th October - Scala, London (W/Stac); 3rd December - Syndicate, Singapore. More dates will be confirmed on later basis, keep up to date onTwitter.




No comments:

Post a Comment